Subject: Large Moth
Location: Worland, WY
Hello, I saw this on the wall of my house today. I live in northern WY. Any idea what it is? It appeared to be 4-5 inches across.
Signature: needarealname

Male Black Witch

Male Black Witch

Dear needarealname,
This is a male Black Witch,
Ascalapha odorata, and according to the Texas Entomology site, it is:  “is the largest moth, if not the largest insect, north of Mexico. ”  Though it has that distinction, it is a migrant species, though perhaps with global warming, it may have naturalized in areas close to the Mexican border.  The Black Witch is a neotropical species, but it has been documented as far north as Canada since as far back as the nineteenth century, though no one really knows exactly what causes this southern species to fly north each year.  Your individual looks quite tattered, which is to be expected after making a 1000 plus mile flight.  Each year in Mexico, at the start of monsoon season, Black Witch moths head north.  Interestingly, we received a report last year of a Cheyenne, Wyoming sighting of a Black Witch.

Location: Worland, Wyoming

5 Responses to Black Witch migrates to Wyoming

1. Elijah says:

Just found one in Riverton Wyoming today!

we also got a sighting from Cheyenne this week: Black Witch moth flying around our home about 10 miles north of Cheyenne, Wyoming. Spotted on July 1, 2020 at around 4pm fluttering by our back door.

2. Cody says:

I just seen 2 in my back yard in Rock springs Wyoming. Looked like they were a breading pair. Thought they were bats until they landed. One of them was very huge. Much bigger than pics Ive seen on internet. Had to be at least 9 inches across both wings.

3. Sarah says:

I just drove home with one in my car from the Flaming Gorge. 😬