Subject: Tarantula
My husband was just given this from a teacher who says it was found wild and they thought it was female. At first we were told Chilean Rose Hair but now thinking California Ebony?? Thanks!
Signature: Stephanie Heckman

Tarantula

Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula

Dear Stephanie,
Once a wild creature is taken from its habitat and becomes a “pet” and then changes hands, and if a chain of custody cannot be established, it might be difficult to establish actual species identity.  We do not have the necessary skill to identify Tarantulas to the species level, but this does appear to be a female.  Perhaps one of our readers who has more experience with Tarantulas will be able to provide a proper species identity.  As a cautionary lesson to our readers, we would strongly advise folks never to remove Tarantulas from their environment as they are becoming increasing rarer in the wild.  Since they are desirable spiders sold in pet stores, “collectors” frequently remove native species from the wild to sell them, a habit we strongly discourage.

Tarantula

Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula

2 Responses to Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula

1. Austin says:

I believe that someone may be pulling your leg. This appears to be a female Chilean Rose Hair tarantula Grammostola spp. Our own G. rosea is almost identical to your specimen. They are common in the pest trade, and many are bred in captivity. The tarantulas in the West are of the genus Aphonopelma, and are typically dark, brown, and somewhat smaller than other tarantulas.

Thanks for the ID. We suspect you mean pet trade and not “pest” trade. It is nice to know that they are being bred in captivity.