Subject: What type of moth is this?
Location: Daejeon, South Korea
Hello. I have included a picture of a moth that I am trying to identify. The moth is found is South Korea. The one in the picture was near a river and there were hundreds of them in that area. I have seen them mostly in the evening, but I assume they are also active at night.
I hope you can tell me this little guys name.
Thank you.
Signature: John Erskin

Free Living Hemipteran

Ricaniid Planthopper

Dear John,
This is not a Moth.  It is a Free Living Hemipteran in the suborder Auchenorrhyncha, a group that includes Cicadas, Leafhoppers, Planthoppers and Treehoppers.  Other than recognizing its suborder, we have not had any luck with a more specific identification at this time.

Update:  August 11, 2016
Thanks to a pair of comments from our awesome contributor, Cesar Crash, who runs Insetologia in Brazil, directing us first to a matching image on FlickR identified as a Ricaniid Planthopper from the family Ricaniidae,
Ricania shantungensis, and then to a scholarly article on Science Alert on the reclassification of the genus as Pochazia, we suddenly realize we are way over our head in writing about this particular insect.  With that said, we will just quote the first paragraph from Science Alert:  “Two species of the genus Pochazia, P. albomaculata and P. shantungensis, are redescribed and illustrated from Korea. Among them, the exotic species P. shantungensis, assumed to be invaded from China recently, is known for the first time in Korea. A sudden outbreak of the latter is observed in the western part of Korean peninsula which is injurious to various fruit plants, many other trees and wild herbs. Hitherto unknown male genitalic characters of the two species are given and keys to genera of the Ricaniidae and species of Pochazia from Korea are provided.”   The New South Wales Government has a nice page on the family Ricaniidae, an Old World Family of Planthoppers that will hopefully not spread with globalization as members of the Free Living Hemipteran suborder Auchenorrhyncha, and indeed Hemipterans in general, are among the most problematic invasive species because of the agricultural impact their introduction has on crops.    

Location: Daejeon, South Korea

4 Responses to Ricaniid Planthopper from South Korea