Subject: This thing BITES!
Location: Vermont
Does anyone know what kind of insect this is? Its a cross between a mantis and a wasp. It also bites!
As you can see it has wings and a round Abdomen. I had two other angles, but I sadly somehow lost them. I unsuccessfully tried to capture it as it bit two family members. One bite on the arm was very red the next day and was about half dollar-sized.
It is light-green with a brown stripe and had mantis-like claws in the front.
Edit: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/insects/predators-ambush-bugs
Signature: Curt

Jagged Ambush Bug

Jagged Ambush Bug

Dear Curt,
This is a Jagged Ambush Bug in the genus
Phymata, and it seems you have already identified it since you included a link to Ambush Bugs in your request.  Ambush Bugs, which were once in their own family, are now classified as a subfamily of the predatory Assassin Bugs.  Ambush Bugs often lie concealed on blossoms where they use their raptorial front legs much like a mantis to capture prey.  Though they are not aggressive towards humans, they can inflict a painful bite if carelessly handled or accidentally encountered, as you have already learned.

Location: Vermont