Subject: What is this a deerfly?
Location: Hampshire, Illinois
Hello, Bugmam!
I live in Hampshire Illinois, this guy showed up on my deck, I thought it was a moth and approached it flew at me, and wouldn’t stop I had to run ….literally …run into the house.
Can you tell me what it is called, besides what I called it…lol
I think it is some type of Deerfly. I may be wrong.
Signature: Gerardine Baugh

Tiger Bee Fly

Tiger Bee Fly

Dear Gerardine,
This is a Tiger Bee Fly and it neither bites nor stings, nor does it have venom or poison, so it is perfectly harmless, but that it not to say it cannot hurt you.  Imagine, if you will, if while you were running away from this harmless creature you tripped and fell and broke your leg.  Though we don’t know why this harmless Tiger Bee Fly flew at you, there was really no harm it could have done had it landed on you.  According to BugGuide, the Tiger Bee Fly “is a parasitoid of Carpenter Bees,
Xylocopa.”

Tiger Bee Fly

Tiger Bee Fly

Thank you for this information. When I see it again I will take more pictures, and watch to see what it is up to.
Gerardine

Location: Hampshire, Illinois

One Response to Tiger Bee Fly

1. Rita O. says:

Thank you for this one! Been seeing these tiger bee flies the past two years and just today found out what he (or she) is