Subject: Closeup of annual cicada
Location: Northern Virginia
Found this guy on my driveway and took a few pictures before letting it latch onto a stick to relocate it to a nearby tree. My best guess is either Neotibicen pruinosus or Neocicada hieroglyphica. Do you have any idea what species this guy is?
Signature: M

Annual Cicada

Annual Cicada

Dear M.,
Your macro images of an Annual Cicada are gorgeous.  Thank you so much for alerting us to the reclassification that has occurred regarding the Cicada genus
Tibicen.  According to BugGuide:  “Major Changes in TAXONOMY for this group!  Tibicen Latreille, 1825. North American species formerly assigned to this genus are now placed in:  Neotibicen [and] Hadoa … Historically, the Genus Tibicen was in the sub-Family Tibiceninae, but is now placed in the Cicadinae.  Currently, the family Cicadidae is being restructured and additional updates will follow – hopefully soon.”  We have always had difficulty determining exact species with Annual Cicadas. 

Annual Cicada

Annual Cicada

Location: virginia