Subject: Wasp like moth
Location: Plano Tx, north of Dallas
I’m sure this is a moth, but wondering what kind. I found it motionless in some ivy treebine.
Signature: Steve

Clearwing Moth: Vitacea admiranda

Clearwing Moth: Vitacea admiranda

Dear Steve,
Your suspicions that this is a moth are correct.  It is one of the wasp-mimic Clearwing Moths in the family Sesiidae.  We believe we have correctly identified it as
Vitacea admiranda thanks to images posted to BugGuide where it states:  “Adult – resembles Polistes paper wasps” and “Larval hosts are likely grapes (Vitaceae). Knudson & Bordelon observed the adults in association with mustang grape (Vitis mustangensis).”  BugGuide also indicates:  “This species was practically unknown before synthetic pheromones, only three specimens in major collections for the first 100 years. It is now known throughout Texas, and is exquisitely sensitive to pheromone residues on skin or clothing.”  We verified that identification on the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Fauna Project.

Thank you Daniel, this is great information, I really do appreciate it.

Location: Plano, Texas