Subject: Pretty spider with metallic blue butt
Location: North New Jersey, USA (woodsy and mountainous region)
This seemingly friendly spider/ or insect was crawling on me and despit my attepts to put it back on the grass, it kept finding its was back on to me over a period of hours.
Its truly gorgeous. It moved slowly, seemed alert to sounds around it and may have hopped a little.
i’ve looked everywhere on line but could not identify it.
Signature: Cassi

Leaf Footed Bug Nymph

Leaf Footed Bug Nymph

Dear Cassi,
Our previous posting was of a Leaf Footed Bug nymph in the same genus,
Acanthocephala, and most likely of the same species, Acanthocephala terminalis.  Your northern location has only one member of that genus reported, and it is A. terminalis.  Your difficulty in finding an identification is due in large part to the fact that immature insects can look very different than adults from the same species, and most identification guides only depict adults of the species.  We can’t help but to notice that there appears to be paint on your skin.  Perhaps something in the paint created an odor that attracted this Leaf Footed Bug nymph.  According to BugGuide, the habitat is “shrubs in woodlands/wood edges; fields and meadows” which agrees with your description of your location. 

Immature Leaf Footed Bug

Immature Leaf Footed Bug

Thank you so much for clearing that up!
I greatly appreciate your time and consideration!
Cassi

Location: New Jersey