Subject: What type of bug is this? I found it in my garden in North Dakota
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota
I found this bug in a type of lily leaf, I believe! I haven’t found a picture of any bug that looks like this, what is it??
Signature: Tammy Hutchinson

Milkweed Longhorn:  Tetraopes annulatus

Milkweed Longhorn: Tetraopes annulatus

Dear Tammy,
Are you growing Milkweed in your garden?  This is a Milkweed Longhorn in the genus
Tetraopes, and we believe we have correctly identified it as Tetraopes annulatus on BugGuide. where the host plants are listed as “A. sullivantii, A. subverticillata, A. speciosa.”  Of the genus, BugGuide notes:  “Adults feed on leaves of milkweed (Asclepias); larvae feed externally on roots of host (root feeding is unique among Lamiinae). Each species (or subspecies) is associated with one or a few host species (an example of coevolution).”  North Dakota is listed on BugGuide as one of the states where sightings of this species have been reported, indicating that at least one species of Milkweed that is the specific host plant for this Milkweed Longhorn is native to North Dakota.

Location: Bismark, North Dakota