Subject: Gold ladybug/NOT tortoise beetle
Location: Scottsbluff, Ne
OK, see this beautiful gold ladybug and got a great photo of it before it flew away! Looked it up online and everyone that talkes about a “gold ladybug” says it’s a tortoise beetle, but the pictures of them look nothing like the beauty that landed on me. So, if not a tortoise beetle what is it? Thanks !!
Signature: April Hort

Leaf Beetle: Common Willow Calligrapha

Leaf Beetle: Common Willow Calligrapha

Dear April,
This is neither a Lady Beetle nor a Tortoise Beetle, but it is a Leaf Beetle in the family Chrysomelidae, and that is the same family as the Tortoise Beetles.  We believe your Leaf Beetle is a Common Willow Calligrapha,
Calligrapha multipunctata, based on images posted to BugGuide.

Thank you!!! I looked it up and it says it’s found in eastern united States? So it must have been lost or the info is not up to date I read( not on your site)! Lol thanks again for your  time!!

Though BugGuide does not list any Nebraska sightings, there are sightings in nearby Colorado, New Mexico and Texas as well as point farther west.  Additionally there are other similar looking species in the same genus.

Location: Scottsbluff, Nebraska