Subject: Parade of insects in slime?
Location: Hillsboro, Virginia
I saw this streak of ‘slime’ on my sidewalk yesterday, about 1/2″ wide and 8″ long which was moving slowly as if flowing forward. It was composed of tiny whitish oblong insects, maybe smaller than a grain of rice which were moving forward in unison in this ‘matrix of ooze’
Photo shows streak of slime on sidewalk. The colors are about the same. I took a short movie of the movement but the file is too large to send.
Hope you can help.
Signature: Sandy

Fungus Gnat Larvae

Fungus Gnat Larvae

Dear Sandy,
These are Fungus Gnat Larvae in the family Sciaridae.  According to BugGuide:  “Sometimes abundant enough to form a crawling mass of several inches across and several feet long, similar to armyworm migrations. Can be pests in greenhouses and in commercially grown mushrooms.”

Oh my GOSH!!!!  Thank you so much for the quick answer.  I will use you again.  How very interesting.  I will search for more about them.
Thank you thank you.
Sandy

Location: Hillsboro, Virginia