Subject: spider
Location: kalloni – lesvos-greece (north aegean)
hi its about a spider i found here some details
place: kalloni – lesvos- greece in a church (was climbing the wall)
june-2016
size fits in grown mans palm
thanks
Signature: spider

Huntsman Spider: Eusparassus walckenaeri

Because the second set of legs is longer than the first set of legs, we suspect this is a Huntsman Spider or Giant Crab Spider in the family Sparassidae which is profiled on the Australian Museum site. We searched for images from Lesvos and discovered this Alamy posting identified as Eusparassus walckenaeri.  We verified that identification on Araneae Spiders of Europe.  On The Natural History Museum of Crete site, it states:  “This is a common spider of the Eastern Mediterranean. It is characterized by its large body size (5 cm) that looks even larger because of the long legs always laterally extended, and by an iridescent light which may be observed on its outer surface. It can be found in open ground as well as inside houses where it eats small and large insects, especially cockroaches.”  There are also several images of Eusparassus walckenaeri from Lesbos on FocusNatura. Your image is positively gorgeous.

Location: Kalloni, Lesvos, Greece

3 Responses to Huntsman Spider from Lesvos, Greece

1. Found one of these in my bathroom in Eresos on Lesvos, it was as the description, big enough to fit in my hand. My wife who doesn’t like spiders decided to call it a Greek Tarantula, which added to the size even had me a little nervous 🙂 It moved extremely fast but I managed to catch it and let it go unharmed into a neighbouring empty house where it can build webs to its heart’s content. Wish I had taken a photo, but the shock of its size had me struggling to remember my own name let alone that I had a camera 🙂