Subject: Pretty moth on my walk
Location: Longmont, CO (Near Boulder)
Hello friend,
Thanks for always doing such a great job with this site. I follow you on Facebook avidly. 🙂 I saw this critter on my walk to work and was so intrigued by the “eyes” near its antennae and the beautiful pattern on its wings that I stopped and took a photo so I could send it to you.
Thanks for any information you can share. 🙂
Signature: Claire, who loves moths

Snout Moth

Alfalfa Webworm Moth

Dear Claire,
This is one of the Snout Moths in the family Pyralidae, which according to BugGuide has “681 species in our area” in North America, or Crambidae, which according to BugGuide has “861 species in 10 subfamilies in our area.”  Many species in the families look quite similar, though the markings on your individual are quite distinctive, though subtle.  We will continue to browse through BugGuide and the Moth Photographers Group in an attempt to identify your species. 

We now believe this is the Alfalfa Webworm, Loxostege cereralis, based on images posted to BugGuide where it states:  “larvae feed on alfalfa and a variety of other crops and weed species.”

As always, thank you so much your hard work! It is always really cool to know more about the area and the plants/animals that live in it! I have seen many more of these since I sent it to you, it must be the right time of year for them to thrive.
Claire

Location: Longmont, Colorado