Subject: Bug on patio and siding
Location: Iowa
June 26, 2016 7:21 am
We are putting some siding up that we got from someone and it has been lying on our patio for some weeks. We have had a lot of rain and today my husband said he saw some of these bugs/insects. I only saw a few of them, but could be hiding and there is water lying on the siding in puddles. Just want to make sure it isn’t something that would harm the home when put on. He is trying to wipe off each piece before he installs.
Signature: Terri Downing

Earwig

Earwig

Dear Terri,
This is an Earwig in the order Dermaptera, and it sound like the siding your stored on your patio that got damp has created the perfect habitat for them.  According to BugGuide:  “Earwigs are sensitive to heat and dryness, so they usually hide in cool, dark places during the day and come out at night.  Some species hide mostly under leaves, rocks and other debris, while others hide under the bark of trees. An important habitat in the deserts of the southwest US is inside rotting cactus- one of the few places with constant moisture even in the driest parts of the year.  Winged species are often attracted to light at night.”  The presence of many Earwigs is more a nuisance than a problem.

Location: Iowa