Subject: Maine Moth?
Location: Houlton, ME
June 24, 2016 8:57 am
These little creatures never sit still. I was lucky yesterday with a zoom lens.
Signature: Mike from Maine

White Spotted Sable

White Spotted Sable

Dear Mike from Maine,
At first glance we thought this was an Eight Spotted Forrester, but we quickly realized there were subtle differences.  Your moth is a White Spotted Sable,
Anania funebris, and according to BugGuide it is:  “Often mistaken for an Eight-spotted Forester (Alypia octomaculata), which is considerably larger [no overlap in wingspan], has a total of only 8 spots on the wings, and has a prominent tuft of orange hair-like scales on its legs – the ‘leg warmers’ that Hannah refers to in her image of an Eight-spotted Forester.”  Of the White Spotted Sable, BugGuide notes:  “Habitat fields, open areas; adults often visit flowers during the day Season adults fly from May to July Food larvae feed on goldenrod (Solidago spp.) and Dyer’s Greenweed (Genista tinctoria).” 

Thank You, I really appreciate what you all do.  I will continue to look for new, and interesting insects up here in Northern Maine. 🙂

Location: Houlton, Maine