Subject: never seen before bug
Location: Laval North west subburbs, Quebec
June 20, 2016 5:45 am
Hello Here is a photo of a winged insect that is very beautiful but we never seen any of them before.
Signature: Richard

Male Spring Fishfly

Male Spring Fishfly

Dear Richard,
This is a male Spring Fishfly,
Chauliodes rastricornis, which you can verify by comparing to this BugGuide image.  According to BugGuide:  “The antennae of females are serrate (saw-like):  The comb-like, (pectinate) antennae of the males are quite obvious.”  BugGuide data indicates Quebec sightings occur in June and July.

Thank you
I and will go to sleep a little smarter.
Love that guide will start using it more and more
Site is a bit intimidating with its large content I will get familiar.
Is there a way to arrive at an identification beside looking at all the items ? like a series of questions that would narrow the search?
Thanks again
Richard

The search engine on our site might be helpful if you type in a few key words.  Because people send in letters that we post verbatim, there is pop culture language on the site that is used to describe the insects.  Prior to the advent of cellular telephones with cameras and internet connectivity, the letters were a bit wordier because they were typed on a computer.  We just typed in “beautiful winged insect” and your posting came up early, but Giant Conifer Aphids also came up, but not because they were described as beautiful, but because the tree they were living on was described as “beautiful and expensive.”

Location: Laval, Quebec, Canada