Subject: regarding your cicada post
Location: atlanta
June 19, 2016 10:00 am
Saw this little cicada in Georgia last week.
Signature: dee

Cicada Exuvia

Cicada Exuvia

Dear dee,
Your image is gorgeous, right down to the color of the background and foreground, and the way they work with the colors of this Cicada nymph.  We needed to crop it and reformat it, so we had to move your signature so that it would still be visible.  This Cicada nymph has crawled to the surface and it is about to molt for the final time into an adult, music making, flying adult Cicada leaving behind the hollow Exuvia, but it is NOT a Periodical Cicada.  Periodical Cicadas have red eyes, and the different broods are different strains of the same species that is most likely in the process of evolutionary diversion.  Additionally you are too far South for Periodical Cicada, Brood V which extends as far South as Virginia.

thank you for that explanation.  I love taking pics of bugs!  I wasn’t sure about the cicada but I am glad you like the pic and glad you can use it.  Have a great day!

Location: Atlanta, Georgia