Subject: Flying stinger bug
Location: Fort Worth, TX
This flying insects just painfully bit my husband. No itching or welt left behind. We are in North Texas in early Summer.
Signature: B.Mann

Stinging Ichneumon

Stinging Ichneumon

Dear B. Mann,
This is a Short Tailed Ichneumon in the genus
Ophion, and we believe these are the insects that folks write about when they claim to have been stung by a Crane Fly.  According to BugGuide:  “Most all Ophion larva are parasites of caterpillars.”  Your submission will not post live to our site until mid-June during our annual absence from the office.

Location: Fort Worth, Texas

2 Responses to Stinging Ichneumon

1. Jeremy Gant says:

I agree. This bug has bit me a few times when I lived in Nacogdoches. The are out at the same time as crane flies but their tail looks different and the are distinctively more orange.

2. Tim surmeier says:

I have been stung repeatedly by what appears to be a very large crane fly a lot of times it bites me on my face at night time it can land on me without hardly feeling it except for a slight flutter and the next day I have a welt with the white Mark in the middle and a large red welt that area I think it is trying to lay eggs in my skin but the lesion is very painful as it begins to swell and it takes a long time for it to go away and I have no idea what’s been injected into my body but I do get aches and pains and all kinds of other issues this is been happening to me in one particular house about every month or two and it’s driving me crazy