Subject: Weird small insect
Location: San Diego, CA
This is my second time seeing one of these small insects. Both times I have found the bug positioned in the same way on the stem of a plant. The face resembles that of a leafhopper.
Signature: Elijah Otto

Spittlebug

Spittlebug

Dear Elijah,
This is an adult Spittlebug in the genus
Clastoptera, based on images posted to BugGuide.  We believe it looks most like Clastoptera lineatocollis based on this BugGuide image, but we would not rule out that it might be Clastoptera siskiyou based on this BugGuide image.  Spittlebugs are so called because the immature nymphs often feed by sucking on the fluids of plants while excreting a frothy protection that resembles spittle.  According to the University of California Integrated Pest Management Program site:  “Spittlebugs suck plant juices. Heavy infestations distort plant tissue and slow plant growth. The obvious and occasionally abundant masses of white foam on cones, foliage, or stems may be annoying, but the spittlebugs do not seriously harm established woody plants.”  We will be postdating this submission to go live to our site during our brief absence next week.

Location: San Diego, California