Subject: Two green lights on its head at night
Location: The Bahamas
Dear bugman,
Please tell me what this bug is
Signature: Ross Treubig

Glowing Click Beetle

Glowing Click Beetle

Dear Ross,
Though there is not much visible in your image beyond the vague outline and the two bright green lights, there is no doubt in our mind that this is a Glowing Click Beetle or Fire Beetle in the genus
Deilelater.  Most of our reports come from Florida, and occasionally from Texas, and recently we have been receiving many comments on old postings, leading us to believe there is a spike in populations of Glowing Click Beetles this year, but your image is the first we have received in many years.

Location: The Bahamas

3 Responses to Glowing Click Beetle from The Bahamas

1. Mark Hernandez says:

In spanish we call them cucullo. They are native to puerto rico but I grew up with them here in Miami every summer. They seemed to have disapeared in the 2000’s but the last couple of years they seem to be back. We consider them good luck and love to play with them. They also love to get in our houses and youll see their cute little green “eyes” walking along the floor up up the walls. 🙂

2. Kerrie Chapman says:

I’m currently lying in bed in a thatched hut treehouse on a beach in Vanuatu and there are glowing green eyes everywhere! They fly, and are wandering through the roof!! Reassured by this post of pretty green lights of nature rather than scary bug 🙂