Subject: Is this a four tooth mason wasp ?
Location: Montreal (Quebec, Canada)
Hello M. Bugman,
I live in Montréal (Québec, Cananda), south east of the Olympic Stadium. My appartment is on the top floor of a three-story building. I have five hanging flower baskets around my front balcony. This afternoon (June 4, 2016) I picked up my camera to get a picture of what I was convinced was a hummingbird feeding in my hanging flower baskets. The “bird” did not stop flying, going from flower to flower, from one basket to another. It did not buzz like a bee or a wasp, the flight was silent. Looking more closely at the picture it appears to be an insect. After searching on the internet, I suspect it might be a four tooth mason wasp. So far it appears that this type of wasp has not been seen often north of southern Ontario. Despite the lack of clarity of the picture, can you identify this insect ? Thank you for your help.
Signature: Josee Desmeules

Nessus Sphinx

Nessus Sphinx

Dear Josee,
This is one of the diurnal Sphinx Moths in the family Sphingidae, and the species that fly during the day are frequently mistaken for hummingbirds, hence the common name Hummingbird Moth.  We believe your species is the Nessus Sphinx,
Amphion floridensis, which you can find profiled on the Sphingidae of the Americas site.

Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada