Subject: Goldsmith
Location: Maine
I found this bug that I believe to be a goldsmith bug on my screen. It stayed there quite a while so I pulled it off. It appeared to be dead. When I was taking pictures of it, I thought I may have seen his legs move some. Do these bugs typically not move much or do you think this bug is dead or dying? Can you identify some of the parts? Does it bite or pinch at all?
Gs
Ps: coincidentally last nights jeopardy final was re Poe’s The Gold Bug.
Signature: Gs

Goldsmith Beetle

Goldsmith Beetle

Dear Gs,
How interesting that this sighting of a Goldsmith Beetle coincided with the Jeopardy final regarding Poe’s classic The Gold Bug which was allegedly based on a Goldsmith Beetle.  It is difficult to speculate on the cause of your individual’s inactivity.  Temperature may have been a factor.  We suspect you found this Goldsmith Beetle on your screen because it was attracted to light.  According to BugGuide:  “Occasionally attracted to lights.”  It is also possible that this individual was nearing the end of its life, hence its lethargy, and we would not rule out that its life may have ended because of exposure to toxins or poisons.  Normally, Scarab Beetles are not as active as Ground Beetles, but the behavior you describe does not sound like the behavior we would expect from a healthy Goldsmith Beetle.  It is possible that a person handling a Goldsmith Beetle may experience a slight pinch because of the spiny features on the legs.

Goldsmith Beetle

Goldsmith Beetle

Goldsmith Beetle

Goldsmith Beetle

Location: Maine

One Response to Goldsmith Beetle

1. Rory Lacy says:

ok, i love the breetal
    where do i get one? how rare are they?
    can i get one from an uncommon crate or only rare crates?