Subject: large moth
Location: Sheffield england
Hi as my son played in the garden he shouted for us to look at his leg and there was this big giant like moth clung onto his trousers I uploaded the pic on another site but it says its a brown bat unless that’s the name off that type of moth I don’t think its a brown bat as it would be far to small and it was 15:00 hours when it was out can you identify what it may be
Signature: sarah

Eyed Hawkmoth

Eyed Hawkmoth

Dear Sarah,
We have identified your Hawkmoth in the family Sphingidae as an Eyed Hawkmoth,
Smerinthus ocellata, thanks to the UK Moths site where it states:  “Fairly well distributed throughout England and Wales, this species has a sombre, camouflaged appearance at rest, but if provoked, flashes the hindwings, which are decorated with intense blue and black ‘eyes’ on a pinkish background.  The adults fly from May to July, inhabiting woodland and suburban localities.”  If you look closely at one of your images, you can see the “eyes” on the colorful hindwings barely visible.

Location: Sheffield, UK