Subject: My Company’s New Pet
Location: New Jersey
Hi Mr. Bugman!
So, We happened upon this little guy/girl at our office in New Jersey, just sitting there on the floor. I was able to be right next to it without it scurrying about, even let me catch it in a cup to let it out outside. Any ideas what it is? It was fairly big compared to most spiders I’m used to seeing around the house or office. I didn’t think to take a picture of it next to anything to compare its size at the time but I know with its legs it was just small enough to fit inside the cup I used. (Picture of cup attached too lol)
Signature: Stef

Male Fishing Spider

Male Fishing Spider

Dear Stef,
Based on the size of his pedipalps, we believe this Fishing Spider in the genus
Dolomedes is a male, and that he is most likely a Northern Fishing SpiderDolomedes tenebrosus, a species generally found near water.  According to BugGuide:  “A study by Schwartz, Wagner & Hebets, August 2013, has found that during mating the male of this species dies.”

Oh wow that was fast! Thank you so much! I thought that’s what it might have been, googling around on the web, but most of the pictures I found showed the spider to be much bigger than the one we had (like the size of my palm or bigger) this guy was much smaller in that regards. Which I suppose the fact that he’s a male would explain that lol
Either way, thanks for clarifying! Now I can ease my coworker’s fears that this spider is not going to put him in the hospital haha
Stef

Location: New Jersey