Subject: Orange and Red Insects, over a larger insect. Beetles possibly?
Location: Anahuac, Texas
First of all, I discovered your site many years ago and I love it!
Secondly, my sister sent me this photo and I referred her to whatsthatbug.com and she told me to do it because there were too many bugs on your site. LOL
I checked out the bugfinder site and though it listed 43 bugs, none of them seemed even remotely close to these bugs. All I can tell you is she was in her backyard and discovered this on her one of her plants and took a photo. They are orange /red and black insects with spots and there is even a larger bug that is a brownish color, underneath these colorful bugs. It is currently Springtime and the photo was taken on Wesnesday, May 18, 2016 at around noon, in Anahuac, Texas.
What exactly are these bugs and are they harmful to pets or people?
Thanks so much!
Signature: Katrina

Immature Leaf Footed Bugs

Immature Leaf Footed Bugs

Dear Katrina,
Thanks so much for the compliment, and we agree that upon a first visit to our site, the currently 22,101 postings can appear quite daunting, but knowing a category helps immensely with identification.  These are True Bugs in the suborder Heteroptera, and they are Leaf Footed Bugs in the family Coreidae.  They are all immature specimens.  Adults are winged.  We believe your species is in the genus
Leptoglossus, and your individuals resemble the individual in this BugGuide image, also from Texas, that is identified as Leptoglossus phyllopus.

Thank you so much! I will let my sister know!
Best regards,
Katrina

Location: Anahuac, Texas