Subject: Mothra behind my house?
Location: Calgary, Alberta
I spotted this grey moth sitting against my house. It’s huge. I couldn’t measure it, but I can safely guess it’s 2 inches in length (from the top of it’d head to tip of the wings). Possibly more, but not less. It is may 18th, and it has been a hot dry spring, and a very mild winter (comparatively). I’ve never seen anything like it here. I’ve never seen a moth this big outside of a moth and butterfly exhibit!
I’m so curious as to what it is (and why it’s in my yard??? What do it’s larvae eat?).
Signature: Regards, Sheila

Northern Ash Sphinx

Northern Ash Sphinx

Dear Sheila,
Your moth is one of the Sphinx Moths or Hawkmoths in the family Sphingidae, and we identified it as a Northern Ash Sphinx,
Sphinx chersis, thanks to the Sphingidae of the Americas site where it states “Larval hosts are ash, lilac, privet, cherry, and quaking aspen.”  If there was a light nearby, it may have been attracted to the light at night.

wow, thank you so much for the quick response! I’m pleased to know it won’t try to make off with my 2 year old. 😛
best,
Sheila

Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada