Subject: Firefly just reaching adulthood?
Location: Southeast Michigan
Hi, i took this photo on May 17, 2016. It was on a white nut grass bloom (cyperus rotundus) in my backyard. I live in Taylor, MI. There were a couple different kinds of bees on these flowers also.
I couldnt find anything similar in my Kaufman’s insect guide.
Anyway, if you could help me that would be wonderful. If not, I understand. Have a wonderful day :-).
Signature: Shelly L.

Soldier Beetle

Deformed Two Lined Leatherwing

Hi Shelly,
Because this Soldier Beetle in the family Cantharidae is either newly metamorphosed, or it has been injured or it is just deformed, it will be difficult to identify in most field guides.  We believe it is
Atalantycha bilineata based on this BugGuide image.  According to BugGuide, it is called a Two Lined Leatherwing and its habitat is “hardwood and pine forests; adults like the flowers of Red Haw, Viburnum rufidulum.

Thank you so much!!! My love of bugs is only about 10 years old. I used to fear them but then slowly began to find them incredibly interesting which eventually turned into finding them wonderful.
I also wanted to mention that I was just on your firefly page and clicked an ad for Nume curling irons. The ad on the page had a promo code, shop24 which was supposed to yield a significant discount. When I went to check out it said the code had expired. I’m not really looking for you to resolve this issue :-), I just thought you guys should know since they advertise on your site that there’s a small possibility they might not be on the up and up. Of course, this could’ve simply been a clerical error. Just an FYI.
Anyway, thank you so much again. You have absolutely made my day! 🙂
Shelly

Thanks for the information Shelly.  We do not micromanage the advertising on our site which is run by Google.  We generate a small amount of revenue when folks who visit our site click on the ads.  Google uses an algorithm to determine which advertisers are relevant to both our site content, and the online browsing history of your own computer.  Very complicated and we don’t really understand it all, but again, the advertisers are beyond our control.

Location: Taylor, Michigan