Subject: What’s green and black with a red stripe?
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
After deciding he wasn’t an emeral ash borer i let this guy continue walking in tne parking lot in Northern Virginia. He’s about an inch long. Any ideas what he is?
Signature: Amy

Fiery Searcher

Fiery Searcher

Dear Amy,
The Emerald Ash Borer is a very small insect.  This gorgeous Ground Beetle is one of the Caterpillar Hunters that goes by the name Fiery Searcher,
 Calosoma scrutator.  Both larvae and adults voraciously eat caterpillars, and according to BugGuide:  “Adults will climb trees in search of their prey.”

Thank you! Now I wish I had helped him over to a tree instead of leaving him amble across the parking lot.
I keep hearing in the news about emerald ash borers being pretty green “bugs” that are devastating, but all I knew was to look out for green insects that may or may not be true bugs. I’m glad your site was there to let me know he wasn’t one of those!
Best,
Amy

Location: Fairfax, Virginia