Subject: Strang bug on a leaf.
Location: Southern California, LA County
So I first noticed this guy a couple months ago on the leaf of my plant. I’m super curious as to what it is. Every time I go check it out it’s always in the same spot, it never moves from there and it even tries to hide from me when I try to get a look at him. It’s so strange, it’s gotten a little bigger since the first time I noticed it and now there is a second one! What is it? I hope you guys can help out. I plan on just leaving them there I’m not a fan of killing anything. I’m just curious.
Signature: Andy

Immature Leafhoppers

Immature Leafhoppers

Dear Andy,
These are immature Leafhoppers in the family Cicadellidae, but we are uncertain of the species.  Leafhoppers have mouths designed to pierce the outer walls of plants so they can suck nutritious fluids from the plants.  They are not considered beneficial insects in the garden.

Immature Leafhopper

Immature Leafhopper

Update:  April 7, 2017
We just received a comment from Emily that this is the nymph of the invasive Glassywinged Sharpshooter, and we confirmed that on BugGuide.

Location: Los Angeles, California

2 Responses to Immature Glassywinged Sharpshooters

1. Emily says:

This is a nymph of the Glassy-winged Sharpshooter, Homalodisca vitripennis, an invasive species in California.