Subject: Need Bug Identification.
Location: SouthernCalifornia
Hello, My name is cameron from Southern California. I keep finding these tiny bugs in my backyard that seem to bite sometimes. This is how im able to find these small insects. Otherwise I would not have know they are in my backyard. I usually find them on my arms after watering plants. And sometimes on my shirt if i look closely. I took some macro shots and some videos using the same camera. They seem to jump like fleas, but not quite as far. They also seem to have very small wings with a worm like tail. Attached are some photos of the insect. It is extremely small, i would say it might be the same or a little smaller then a flea. Thanks very much.
Signature: Cameron F.

Thrips

Thrips

Dear Cameron,
This is a Thrips in the order Thysanoptera.  Interestingly Thrips is both a singular or plural for the insect.  You can read more about Thrips on BugGuide where it states:  “Some are wingless; where present, the wings are narrow with few or no veins and fringed with long hairs. Mouthparts asymmetrical (no right mandible), suitable for piercing and sucking”
and “Thrips can often be found on flowers, they are especially visible on light colored flowers like daisies. Be aware that though they are very tiny, they can give a slightly painful bite.”

Thank you very much. Should spraying and 4,500 ladybugs fix this problem? I understand how to place the lady bugs to be most effective. Thank you very much!!

We do not provide extermination advice.

Location: southern California