Subject: Crazy Colors!
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
This fella showed up today and I was astounded by it’s nearly day-glow green and blazing red striping. Beautiful to the point of almost appearing fake. Then I started wondering if dragonflies, like so many other animals, go through color changes or become more colorful in mating season…if there is a mating season for dragonflies, that is.
Signature: Thanks!

Swamp Darner, we believe

Swamp Darner, we believe

We believe we have correctly identified your Dragonfly as a Darner, more specifically, a Swamp Darner, Epiaeschna heros, based on this BugGuide image.  The red face is evident in this BugGuide image.  According to BugGuide, they are found near  “Shaded ponds, streams, swamps, temporary pond” and they are active “February to November in Florida, June to September in northernmost part of range” and that “Females oviposit in a variety of sites, in mud, in stems, or in mud of dried-up ponds.”  Some Dragonflies change color as adults, often with the males getting brighter with age.

How cool! Thank for the knowledge !

Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia