Subject: please identify this bug
Location: sheffield uk
April 20, 2016 1:09 am
Hi I have been finding these insects in my newly built house, and really need to know what they are and how to remove them, can u help?! Thanks
Signature: stacey

Possibly Flour Beetle

Possibly Flour Beetle

Dear Stacey,
Small beetles like this found in the home are generally either wood boring species or pantry pests.  We believe your individual is a Flour Beetle in the genus
Tribolium.  According to Pied Piper:  “Both the confused and red flour beetles, known as “bran bugs,” primarily attack milled grain products, such as flour and cereals. Both adults and larvae feed on grain dust and broken kernels, but not the undamaged whole grain kernels. These beetles often hitchhike into the home in infested flour and can multiply into large populations. Some survive on food accumulations in cabinet cracks, crevices, and furniture. Confused flour beetles are the most abundant and injurious insect pest of flour mills in the U.Kingdom, United States and Australia. They do not bite or sting humans or pets, spread disease, or feed on or damage the house or furniture.  In addition to milled grain products, beetle specimens have been found in barley, breakfast cereals, corn, cornmeal, crackers, flour, millet, oats, rice, rye, wheat and wheat bran, nutmeats, dried fruits, legume seeds, beans, milk chocolate, cottonseed, peas, powdered milk, sunflower seeds, vetch seeds, spices, herbarium and museum specimens” so you may want to check the pantry for the site of the infestation.

Location: Sheffield, UK

7 Responses to Probably Flour Beetle from the UK

1. Nancy Stavealnd says:

I believe I have these small bugs in my pantry. I have cleaned every inch of the pantry and thrown away the foods that I think they are coming from but I find more everyday. How do I get rid of them once and for all?

We do not provide extermination advice. You must be overlooking the site of the infestation. Perhaps a bargain bag of dog food or bird seed?

2. Emma Schofield says:

I think these are under my son’s bed!!!! I have 3 boys in 1room and only the one bed has them so no it’s not bed bugs and they look just like this.

3. Sarah says:

I have found these on my bed. Now need to find where the nest is.Any advice please?

4. Eszter says:

Hi! I found these bugs in my kitchen cupboard.
    I used bug killer spray, after it washed the cupboard with hot soapy water very carefully. Is it enough or it will be a long term fight?
    All flour and pasta went into bin. 🙁
    Do this bugs like the spices as well ?

5. Sarah says:

Ive been finding 1 a day of the flour beetle on my bed for the past few weeks.
    Its only found in this room
    No sign of any in the house. Ive even looked into every food in the kitchen.
    Bedroom is upstairs and no one eats in there.
    Rooms Layout:
    Kitchen ground floor
    Bedroom 1st floor
    Loft directly above bedroom.

Could it be coming from the loft? Dropping through the ceiling light in a tiny hole onto my bed?
    Im only finding 1 a day. Ive hoovered even steamed the carpet and washed bedding and steamed mattress everything. Im clueless. Please advice??