Subject: Beetle ID – Black with green patches
Location: Cuc Phuong National Park, Vietnam
April 9, 2016 12:12 am
Hi there,
I enjoy your site, and it has been a great help to ID some of the local bugs I find in California. Recently I went to Vietnam and this bug caught my attention. I have tried to do my due diligence identifying it myself but I’m not getting anywhere. It was seen March 8th at approximately 8 p.m. For size reference, I think about 3/4″? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Signature: Alison

Pleasing Fungus Beetle, we believe

Pleasing Fungus Beetle, we believe

Dear Alison,
Based on the shape of the antennae and other features, we believe this is a Pleasing Fungus Beetle in the family Erotylidae, but we have not had any success finding any matching images online with this striking black and green coloration.  The closest we would find is this image on Alex Hyde Photography of an unidentified Malaysian species with similar, though yellow markings.  There are examples of beetles, like the Australian Fiddler Beetle, that have green coloration while other members of the same species are yellow.  There is another similar looking Pleasing Fungus Beetle on the Beetles of Borneo site.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck than we have had.