Location: Philippines
April 2, 2016 5:20 am
Hey ! Me and my friends found a bug in our backyard, I can’t identify it so can you help us ? If you find out what it is,can I keep it as a pet ?
Signature: Dear,

Leaf Footed Bug

Leaf Footed Bug

You can tell by the enlarged tibiae on the hind legs that this is a Leaf Footed Bug in the family Coreidae.  They are not harmful, but you will need to provide it with the appropriate food if you are going to keep it.  Leaf Footed Bugs feed on the fluids from plants, deriving nutrition by sucking the fluids with the piercing and sucking mouthparts.  We believe your Leaf Footed Bug is a Citron Bug, Leptoglossus gonagra, which we identified on the Flying Kiwi site.  We also found an image on this blog.  According to BugGuide, it is “polyphagous” and a “minor pest of citron groves in FL, major pest on several crops in S. America.”  If you have access to Citron, you can place a ripe fruit in the container to see it it will feed.  If no citron is available, try an orange.

Leaf Footed Bug

Leaf Footed Bug

Location: PHilippines