Subject: What kind of caterpillar is it?
Location: Asuncion, Paraguay
April 1, 2016 9:59 am
Hi! I found this caterpillar in my backyard, is almost 5 inches long, the horn on the tail is grey-ish, it has small little hairs all over but very little in cuantity too, small brown/yellow spots, and a white line on the back that connects both sides of it with the horn…
I’ve tried to find on the Internet one that looks exactly like that one, there are a few ones that look a bit alike but there is not an exact match, and I know every detail counts.
Signature: Thank you guys so much!

Hornworm: Cocytius antaeus

Hornworm: Cocytius antaeus

We believe this Hornworm in the family Sphingidae is Cocytius antaeus based on images posted to Bizland.  We will contact Bill Oehlke for verification.  We suspect he may request the use of your images for his site if you will allow.  Do you know the type of tree the Hornworm was feeding upon?

No problem, use the images how ever you guys want! And the tree is a custard apple tree… and again thank you guys!

Hornworm: Cocytius antaeus

Hornworm: Cocytius antaeus

Bill Oehlke Concurs
Yes, It is Cocytius antaeus. It is also nice to know specific location at least one level below national level, the more specific the better.
Thanks for thinking of me.
Bill

Hornworm: Cocytius antaeus

Hornworm: Cocytius antaeus

Location: Asuncion, Paraguay

2 Responses to Hornworm from Paraguay

1. Bostjan Dvorak says:

Great pictures of a wonderful finding, congratulations!
    The leaves look like those of Annona squamosa (custard apple), an indigenous fruit tree, which is sometimes followed by this species of an originally rather rare Cocytius moth into plantations.

Best wishes,
    Bostjan Dvorak