Subject: Strange fly/bug
Location: thornlie, western australia
March 29, 2016 4:55 am
Hi, my mum had a bug/fly land on her and swatted it. It died but is dark in colour but when the photo is taken with flash has amazing colours and a very big sting, similar to a bee but much bigger and with barbs on it.
Signature: Email

Cuckoo Wasp

Cuckoo Wasp

Though it appears to be a stinger, the Cuckoo Wasp is incapable of stinging.  The female uses her stinger-like ovipositor to lay eggs and according to the Brisbane Insect site:  “Most species are external parasites of other wasp larvae. Females lay eggs in nest of other wasps (Eumeninae of Vespidae and  Sphecidae) while the nest host collect food for larvae. Cuckoo Wasp larvae hatch and feed on the food or the host larvae.”

Cuckoo Wasp

Cuckoo Wasp

Location: Thornlie, Western Australia

5 Responses to Cuckoo Wasp from Australia

1. junior says:

Hi I saw one of these on my bed the same on the picture. Im wondering if they sting or are dangerous.

2. Nicole Cooper says:

We found a cuckoo wasp in Washington state USA. Is that possible?

3. Lusa says:

I found one that went through the washer and was still alive. I even tried to squeeze it but it would not die. I’m in Florida, is it possible