Subject: Insect
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia
I was working outside at a mill and we are situated along side the Fraser River. I always see strange bugs like the one pictured.
I’m trying to figure out what this insect is called.
I found it March 26th 2016( today)
The bug barely moved.I picked the bug up with a stick because the underside of his body was yellow. and I wanted to get a picture of it. The bug had a good grip.
I assumed it was just getting out of hibernation, as spring is upon us now.
I tried google image search, the result was dobsonfly, alderfly or fishfly.
Is this bug any of those three?
Signature: Corinne

Ebony Salmonfly, we believe

Ebony Salmonfly, we believe

Dear Corinne,
Though it resembles a Dobsonfly, Alderfly or a Fishfly in the Order Megaloptera, your insect is actually a Giant Stonefly in the genus
Pteronarcys, commonly called a Salmonfly.  A comment posted to this BugGuide image indicates it is possibly the Ebony Salmonfly, Pteronarcys princeps, and the coloring matches your individual, but as the commentor indicates “two species here in CA and you need to see the naughty bits to tell them apart”, we cannot be certain of the species.  BugGuide lists British Columbia as a sighting location for the Ebony Salmonfly.

Probably Ebony Salmonfly

Probably Ebony Salmonfly

Ebony Salmonfly, we presume

Ebony Salmonfly, we presume

Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada

One Response to Salmonfly from Canada

1. Ann Keech says:

I got one too, today, March 29 2016. Mine was at work as well but he’d come in the open door and was sitting on a table frame. I work in a school furniture factory in Coquitlam. I’ve got him home with me now but I’ll return him tomorrow. There’s a good sized stream just a few steps up the road and I assume he’ll be quite happy there!