Subject: Metallic blue house fly with big stinger
Location: Orlando, Florida
3/23/16
Dear Mr. Bugman,
I was at my aunt house in Lake Nona in Orlando, Florida, at the beginning of spring in 2016 and I came across an interesting fly that was a dark metallic blue with a stinger as big as big as the fly itself was. The fly was normal size and the stinger was slightly curved. It had a sort of yellowish color to it, but it was mostly brown. It was dead when I found it, and that was the only one I saw, but I still took a picture (though I sincerely apologize for the poor photo taking). Please identify it and if it is a new species, to please call it the Benjamin Fly. Thank you for your time and have a good day.
-Benjamin Gillan, 12 year old
Signature: Benny G.

Cuckoo Wasp

Cuckoo Wasp

Dear Benny,
This is not a Fly.  Flies in the order Diptera have but two wings, a single pair.  Your Cuckoo Wasp from the Family Chrysididae has four wings.  According to BugGuide:  “The female sting has been modified into an egg-laying tube with highly reduced valvulae and poison gland. As a result, unlike most other aculeates, chrysidids cannot sting and can be easily handled.”

Location: Orlando, Florida