Subject: Bugs in my bed:(
Location: Columbus, Ohio
I keep finding these bugs in my bed and I don’t know what they are and where they are coming from. The bugs were around 5 millimeters big. Recently I also had some bumps resembling bug bites on my back and neck, though they did not itch. Hopefully you can help me. I have included a picture of one of the bugs I found and the bites which I assume come from these bugs.
Signature: Ellyce

Varied Carpet Beetle

Varied Carpet Beetle

Dear Ellyce,
The bug you found in your bed is a Varied Carpet Beetle, a common household pest.  You have bumps on your neck.  We cannot say for certain that there is any relationship between the two occurrences.  Varied Carpet Beetles are not known to bite humans.  Perhaps you can find the cause of the bumps on Healthline which has a page entitled What’s Causing This Raised Bump on My Skin?

Bumps on Neck

Bumps on Neck

Subject: Another bug in my bed:(
Location: Columbus, Ohio
I just sent a message a few minutes ago, but I found a picture of one of the earlier bugs (there’s been four I found total) and this one looks different. This one was between 3 and 4 millimeters.
Thank you.
Signature: Ellyce

Bed Bug

Bed Bug

Hi again Ellyce,
The second bug you found in your bed is a blood sucking Bed Bug and it might be responsible for the bumps on your neck and back.  You indicated the bumps did not itch.  The American Academy of Dermatology does make a reference to itching and their Bed Bug page is embedded within the Itchy Skin category.   The Terminex site states:  “Not everyone reacts to a bed bug bite, but itching is one of the most common reactions for those who do.”  Once again, we cannot say for certain that the bumps are related to the presence of bugs in your bed, but you definitely have found a blood sucking Bed Bug and if there is one, there might be more.

Location: Columbus, Georgia

One Response to Varied Carpet Beetle and Bed Bug in bed and bumps on back and neck

1. Benji Glover says:

Yuck…would hate to think that I could possibly have these human blood sucking insects in my bed. Oh the thought just makes me shudder.