Subject: Moth Chrysalis
Location: Boulder, CO
We found a chrysalis tucked away in a lonely shoe about 3-4 months ago (Sept or Oct). A friend had left her leather dancing shoe under our couch, and when I picked it up, out fell this little guy. It was attached up near the toe by two silk anchors.
Sadly he fell quite a ways, I’m rather tall so he got the brunt of a 3 foot drop to our hardwood. The Chrysalis is currently hanging in a mason jar with ventilation, but I’m rather curious for more information about it. Thank you for your time!
Signature: -FC

Swallowtail Chrysalis

Swallowtail Chrysalis

Dear FC,
This chrysalis belongs to a butterfly, not a moth.  We believe it is a Swallowtail Chrysalis.  Most Swallowtails produce upright chrysalides, that are held in that position by a silken girdle.  This Tiger Swallowtail Chrysalis from BugGuide looks similar.

Swallowtail Chrysalis

Swallowtail Chrysalis

Swallowtail Chrysalis

Swallowtail Chrysalis

Location: Boulder, Colorado

One Response to Swallowtail Chrysalis

1. FC says:

Thanks so much for the help identifying this guy. He hatched today and flew off, probably to get eaten fairly quickly (it would have been perfect timing 2 days ago, but now there is snow on everything and this swallowtail is bright yellow). Thank you again for the help!