Subject: Ladybeetle in Oman
Location: Wadi Shab, Oman (22°49’48.3″N 59°13’30.5″E)
March 4, 2016 11:00 am
Dear Daniel.
You have already helped me almost a year ago with 2 namibian insects, hope you can help me with this one.
I saw this Ladybeetle at my vacation in Oman and unfortunately, until now I was not able to identify these two mating beetles in the internet. I scrolled through your site, could not find it eather. Do you have any idea?
I saw them at the canyon “Wadi Shab”, near a small river at 5pm. Their size was “normal”, I mean, a size you would expect with ladybeetles. Btw, it was the first ladybeetle I have seen without spots, it`s sort of banded.
Hope you can help me 🙂 Thanks a lot in advance Daniel.
Bye,
Signature: Becky from Munich-Germany

Mating Lady Beetles

Mating Wave Striped Lady Beetles

Dear Becky,
There is not a very comprehensive insect archive from Oman available on the internet, but we did locate a page on Lady Beetles from the family Coccinellidae on Israel’s Nature Site, but alas, your species is not pictured.  We will continue to try to identify your mating Lady Beetles.

Update:  March 6, 2016
While attempting to identify this Mealy Bug or Scale Insect from India, we stumbled upon this image of a Lady Beetle from India on Wikipedia that matches the pair submitted for this posting.  Though it is not identified, we are invigorated to continue our search by expanding to Coccinellidae from India.  Birds of Malwa refers to it by the common name Indian Wave Striped Ladybug, but no scientific name is provided.  Continued searching led us to pBase and the name
Menochilus sexmaculatus.  We verified that identity and they synonym Cheilomenes sexmaculata (Fabricius, 1781) on Meloidae.com and on MalaysianLadyBirds.

Dear Daniel.
Wow, you guys really are incredible!!  :-))
Thank you very much for identifying my Omani ladybeetles!
Bye, Becky

Location: Wadi Shab, Oman