Ed. Note:  April 11, 2016
Bed Bug identification queries have increased greatly in the past five years, and though most of those have turned out to be Carpet Beetles or other Household Pests, actual Bed Bug sightings have also greatly increased, prompting us to add Bed Bugs to our Top 10 tag.

Subject: Tick?
Location: Chicago, IL USA
February 29, 2016 1:32 pm
I found this bug on my backpack today. Im not really sure what it is, but it sort of looks like a tick. I do not live in a heavily wooded area (I live in Chicago). This bug was very little and very flat. Im hoping you can tell me what it is.
Signature: Julia

Bed Bug

Bed Bug

Dear Julia,
The bad news is that this is a blood-sucking Bed Bug and if you found it in your home, you may have more.  Look for bites that occur while sleeping.  The good news is that we are featuring your submission as the Bug of the Month for March 2016.

Location: Chicago, Illinois

2 Responses to Bug of the Month March 2016: Bed Bug

1. Julia says:

Would it be possible to have picked up this bed bug during my daily commute? I take public transportation daily. I have searched my bedroom and mattress and have found no other signs of bed bugs.

It is entirely possible that you picked up this Bed Bug on public transportation. Many folks on public transportation carry their bed clothes with them and some of those people might not wash their bedding very often. People with transient tendencies can pick up insect hitch-hikers in some of the sketchy locations where they must bed down for the night. You are lucky to have found this, presumably, solitary Bed Bug before it had a chance to reproduce in the comfort of your home.