Subject: Pretty sure this is a bug egg…?
Location: Seattle
February 25, 2016 5:05 pm
I live near Seattle. For Christmas, we received a wicker picnic basket, and because because it was winter, we left the basket on the carpet in a room we don’t typically use. The room doesn’t receive much sunlight and typically is a little cooler than the rest of house, since it is a daylight basement.
A few weeks ago I decided to clean it up and wash the utensils that come with the basket, when I found these little white spheres in multiple spots in the basket. In addition, when I picked up the basket I saw the same white spheres sitting in clumps on the carpet, which I’ve photographed (and since vacuumed).
I took the basket, did a quick wipe and set it on a chair in the dining room. Within a week or two, I started seeing more of those same dots on the chair. Any ideas what they are? I think they are bugs, but haven’t seen any evidence of any bugs. I presume I should probably throw the basket away…
Signature: some guy

Growth on Basket

Growth on Basket

Dear some guy,
Despite the high resolution of your image, we don’t quite know what we are looking at, but we do not believe it to be insect related.  Our first impulse is to suspect this might be some type of fungus.  Damp conditions in Seattle could cause fungus to grow in some unlikely spots.  Moving the basket from the room to the chair would transfer the spores and cause a fungus to grow there as well.  Perhaps one of our readers will have a better suggestion.

Growth on Basket

Growth on Basket

Location: Seattle, Washington