Subject: Lichen Mimic
Location: Rancha Naturalista, Costa Rica.
February 21, 2016 10:00 am
We encountered this lichen mimic hemipteran in Costa Rica 10 days ago. Can you help in identifying it please.
I tried previously to submit, but have now reduced the size of a single file.
Hugh
Signature: Hugh Woodland

Lichen Mimic Hemipteran

Lichen Mimic Fulgorid Planthopper

Hi Hugh,
How large was this Hemipteran?  It resembles a Lace Bug in the family Tingidae, but we could not locate any images of similar looking Lichen Mimic Lacebugs from Costa Rica on the internet.  Lace Bugs are quite small.  We would not rule out that it is some species of Planthopper from the superfamily Fulgoroidea.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck with an identity than we have had.

It was 1.5, maybe 2 cm long. I couldn’t find anything on the net either!
Hugh

That is too big to be a Lace Bug.

Comment from Hugh:  August 11, 1016
With the help of Dr Jim Lewis of the Museo Nacional of Costa Rica and Dr Jan Janzen this has been identified as Sinuala tuberculata in the Fulgoridae.

Location: Rancha Naturalista, Costa Rica

2 Responses to Lichen Mimic Fulgorid Planthopper from Costa Rica

1. Hugh Woodland says: