Subject: Please help me name this beetle
Location: Sydney Australia
February 19, 2016 5:37 am
This beetle flew through my bedroom window at night.
Kind of heavy, strong grasp, black with interesting pattern – yet flat border around its oval body.
Stayed for awhile, and flew away again..
I’m just very interested in knowing.
Signature: Tyler leigh

Pie Dish Beetle

Pie Dish Beetle

Dear Tyler,
This is one of the Pie Dish Beetles, an unusual group of genera belonging to the Darkling Beetle family Tenebrionidae.  According to Australian Museum:  “The pie-dish beetles’ common name refers to their general pie-dish shape and broad body flanges (rims) around the edges of their thickened, hardened, fore wings (elytra) and the front part of the thorax or second body segment (prothorax). These flanges can often be quite large.”  The site also states:  “Adult pie-dish beetles forage on the ground at night, moving around quite quickly on long legs. Some species return to the same resting-place at dawn, often using mammal (mainly rabbit) burrows to shelter in. Other species are commonly found under pieces of wood, leaf litter, logs or stones. Some species in the genus Pterohelaeus are found under the loose bark of living and dead trees such as Eucalyptus. The adults are most active during the hottest months of the year.  The pie-dish beetles’ flattened body form with expanded flanges may have been an evolutionary adaptation for living for living under the loose bark of Eucalyptus. In the more recently evolved species, the flanges are even more exaggerated, serving to deter predators and possibly to play a minor role in water collection.”  More images can be found on Brisbane Insects.

Pie Dish Beetle

Pie Dish Beetle

Location: Sydney, Australia