Subject: Beautiful fairy-like bug
Location: NSW , Port Macquarie
February 16, 2016 9:12 pm
This little creature was sitting on the pigs-face in January 2016. The eye is a beautiful purple colour and the wings are gossamer fine with long antennae. The body was quite a startling yellow. I live in Port Macquarie in NSW and would appreciate an ID.
Kind regards
Signature: Lindie

Green Lacewing

Green Lacewing

Dear Lindie,
This is a Lacewing, and Green Lacewings in North America are frequently called Golden Eyes.  We tried searching for additional images of purple eyed individuals from Australia, and we found an image on Life Unseen that is called a Golden-eyed Lacewing,
Mallada traviatus.  We then searched for additional information using that scientific name and we found a nice image on Atlas of Living Australia.  We wonder if the eyes on your individual are reflecting the color of the blossom upon which it is resting.  Both adult and larval Lacewings are predators that feed on Aphids and other troublesome insects in the garden.  Your image is quite beautiful. 

Thank you very much for the information ! I am totally chuffed at the name…Lacewing…it’s EXACTLY what it should be
called, don’t you think ?
I think your musings about the colour of the eye might be right then, that the colour of the blossom was reflected straight into it. Just amazing.
Thank you for the compliment on the picture, much appreciated.
Once again , thank you for the information.
Kind regards
Lindie Kolver

We are quite amused at the name of the plant because that blossom sure doesn’t look like a “pigs-face.”

They do have strange names for most everything in Australia. Takes some getting used to, tell you.
Lovely having dealings with you.
Kind regards
Lindie

Location: Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia