Subject: Possible Mygalomorph in Monmouth, OR
Location: Monmouth, Oregon
February 12, 2016 11:12 pm
Hello!
I’m a hobby arachnologist and I frequently get friends sending me pics of spiders they’ve taken and asking what they are. Usually I can pretty quickly ID them but this little beauty is a bit of a stumper.
It looks like he has palps, but it could be my imagination. Those spots are familiar to me but I can’t find a ready ID. I was thinking Mygalomorph, but they’re so uncommon in Oregon, I must be crazy!
Signature: Luke S

Trapdoor Spider

Trapdoor Spider

Dear Luke,
We agree with much of what you stated, but not everything.  We do agree that this is a Mygalomorph and that it does have palps, indicating it is a male.  Where we disagree is that Mygalomorphs are uncommon in Oregon.  BugGuide has several genera of Trapdoor Spiders found in the Pacific Northwest, including
Antrodiaetus pacificus, which looks like a pretty good match considering this BugGuide posting.  We also have our doubts that you are crazy, but we cannot be entirely certain.

Location: Monmouth, Oregon

9 Responses to Trapdoor Spider from Oregon

1. Wolfspider says:

I hope damaging and endangering a beautiful specimen for your own personal kudos and past time satisfies you. You disgusting individual.

2. Wolfspider says:

That it’s fairer to capture then as you see them, not drag it out of its hole, stretch it’s abdomen, break off a leg and lay it on cement to take a picture for recognition

While we do not know the exact circumstances that led up to taking the image, nowhere in the identification request does it indicate what you might have imagined actually happened. The individual appears to be a male Trapdoor Spider, and the image was taken in the winter, the time when many west coast male Trapdoor Spiders leave the comfort of their burrows to seek a mate. Male Trapdoor Spiders have a considerably shorter life span than females because they often encounter predators or other dangerous obstacles while on their mating quest. Our site has numerous images of male California Trapdoor Spiders that have drowned in swimming pools.

3. Wolfspider says:

He does not look comfortable or natural in that position, I think the human has treated him worse then the season.

For the record, we do not intend to bust your chops and we thoroughly applaud you coming to the defense of a lower beast, but we still feel there was no indication that there was any foul play involved.

4. Doc Zeigler says:

I found one tonight (august 9 2016) in Dallas Oregon.

5. Vanessa says:

I don’t think that is a fair comment – that they have done wrong by this little dude. Male spiders, in their search for females, end up in extremely poor shape very quickly. If he had already encountered a female, that could be good enough reason for his less than stellar appearance. He might consider himself lucky that he only has a few minor injuries!
    Once mature, males often stop eating and drinking altogether and are only interested in passing on their genes to another generation. I have seen male tarantulas looking far worse after being mature for a while. They are an overall pathetic sight, actually.
    I think he is looking pretty fabulous, all things considered, and this was an awesome find! Hopefully, he was successful in doing his part to keep his species going before meeting his end.

6. You know says:

To big man, I’m not sure I see what you see. But I know what you are saying. PS to the page, nice earwig sketches