Subject: Cave bee?
Location: Chinhoyi caves 17°21′0″S 30°07′30″E
February 10, 2016 11:03 am
This pretty blue bee? was in the Chinhoyi caves near Chinhoyi in Zimbabwe. It was in the large open access tunnel between the entrance and The Sleeping Pool so it might just have wandered in from the pool.
It was about 2 cm long and made a continuous buzzing sound like a bee. There was only the one bee and it was flying around as if it was exploring the walls. It didn’t seem to want to leave the cave but was just exploring the walls.
My nephew took the photos but he is happy for me to send them to you as he also wants to know.
The first photo is just the bee. The second includes a dead spider which might help for scale and also shows the side view although it is a little blurred. The third photo is just to show the tunnel where we saw it.
Signature: Upapa Epops

Solitary Bee

Solitary Bee

Dear Upapa,
Though we cannot identify your solitary blue Bee at this time, we are posting your lovely images and we hope to get some input from our readership.

Solitary Bee

Solitary Bee

Location: Chinhoyi Caves, Zimbabwe