Subject: Is this a Eudicella Beetle?
Location: Greendale Harare 17 48′ 28.9″ S 31 6′ 42.5″ E
February 10, 2016 11:44 am
This fellow was sitting on a chair in our garden in Harare. I think it might be a Eudicella beetle but would like a proper identification. The picture was taken on Monday or Tuesday by my sister. I include the housefly to give an idea of the size of the beetle.
The weather here is late summer/ rainy season.
Signature: Upapa Epops

Regal Fruit Chafer from Zimbabwe: Ranzania splendens

Regal Fruit Chafer from Zimbabwe: Taurhina splendens

Dear Upapa,
We believe this gorgeous Regal Fruit Chafer is Ranzania splendens. We researched much information in our previous posting.  There are many similarities to the members of the genus
Eudicella since they are in the same family.  We located images of them on Flower Beetles.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and the links to the other lovely beetles. So nice to have them in the garden.

Correction:  February 16, 2019
Thanks to a comment from Rob, we would like to clarify that the scientific name for this Regal Fruit Chafer is Taurhina splendens which we verified on iNaturalist.

Location: Greendale, Harare, Zimbabwe

4 Responses to Regal Fruit Chafer from Zimbabwe

1. Rob says:

Is this not a Taurhina Splendens ?
    Found one in my garden today Feb 16th , feeding on the sap of an acacia , apparently they do this and feed on mangoes , supposed to occur in hot humid tropical climates , in SA in the Limpopo area . The one I saw has a white top , I believe your pic is a female .

2. how is this related to rove beetles?

The Regal Fruit Chafer and Rove Beetles are both classified as Beetles in the insect order Coleoptera, but the Chafer is in the Scarab Beetle family Scarabaeidae, while Rove Beetles are classified in the family Staphylinidae.