Subject: Blue caterpillar
Location: Chiloe, Chile.
February 4, 2016 5:12 pm
Hello! I was trekking in Chiloe national park, in the great island of Chiloe, Chile, and I find this beautiful caterpillar, but no one could tell me it’s species. I hope you could tell me more about it. Cheers!
Signature: Marcos Nijborg

Giant Silkmoth Caterpillar

Giant Silkmoth Caterpillar

Dear Marcos,
We believe your Giant Silkmoth Caterpillar is in the subfamily Hemileucinae, the Buck and Io Moths.  Furthermore, we believe it is in the genus Automeris because of it strong resemblance to the North American Io Moth Caterpillar.  The closest match we could find is the Caterpillar of
Automeris hamata, a species pictured on DeviantArt and found in Argentina.  We will contact Bill Oehlke to see if he can provide any information.

Giant Silkmoth Caterpillar

Giant Silkmoth Caterpillar

Bill Oehlke Responds
Larvae of Chilean Saturniidae are not well known. It is one of the Hemileucinae species, and I suspect of Ormiscodes genus based on spinage. There are probably six different Ormiscodes species from that area.
Bill Oehlke

Here is a link to Healthy Home Garden that contains images of a caterpillar in the genus Ormiscodes.

Location: Chiloe, Chile

5 Responses to Saturniid Caterpillar from Chile

1. Marcelo Brito de Avellar says:

Seems to me Automeris metzli .
    Look: https://www.flickr.com/photos/weimar_meneses/18690304893

Thanks Marcelo. Bill Oehlke indicated that caterpillars of Chile are not very well documented, but he believes it may be in the genus Ormiscodes. We will forward your comment to him as we communicate through our personal email accounts.

2. Marcelo Brito de Avellar says:

Seems to me Automeris metzli .

3. Marcos Nijborg says:

The photo I posted as a request was a low quality with my phone, but when I get home I will forward the originals from my camera, with better resolution, so you can replace this pictures with better ones. Cheers!